Skip to main content

Meet the new year, same as the old year

I'm not really a fan of New Year's Eve. The older I have become, the more reclusive I have become on the night that ushers in a new year. But, despite my lack of enthusiasm for this apparent holiday, hopefully everyone had a good night and are ready to embrace 2018. Beware though; now comes the scary times of 'new year, new me', so watch out for all the resolutions that will be broken in a week or so.

Over the top, but the London firworks are pretty cool
This new year will, of course, bring with it new challenges. Besides the urge to break our resolutions early on and go back to the easy life, we have to remember that it's now 2018, not 2017. That means that all those students out there writing down the date have to get 2017 out of their system ASAP, otherwise the top of every single page for the next few months will be branded with an 8 that suspiciously started like a 7. Just a friendly reminder from me.

For me, the first challenge of 2018 is to continue to suffer through my ordeal. That's right, I'm still suspended from work and nothing has changed whatsoever. I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty pissed off about it since it has now gone beyond ridiculous. Still, the longer it goes on for, the deeper in shit the parties putting me through this mess will be in. I guess that makes it bearable, but doesn't excuse the fact that I'm not allowed to work and my career is now very much screwed.

Yet this now gives me even more time to think of my future, and attempt to map out my goals for 2018. At the moment, the only goal is to get back into work somehow and try and make something of the absolute shambles (see what I did there) that is my working life. The options open to me are pretty numerous, yet the primary objective of happiness will certainly drive my decision making process. It's all very scary really.

Take me back to a simpler time
In the wider context, this year has much to offer. It is a World Cup year after all, and the expectations of the nations are slowly building as Harry Kane continues to break records and the younger members of the England squad do their very best to get on the plane to Russia. Expect players to pull out the very best of their abilities to strike fear into the nations they will face in the tournament, and perhaps get the big money move so many crave. Or, if they are so inclined, throw a strop, let their contracts run out and move to a side that will have them benched half the time.

Hint hint
If football isn't your thing, then worry not! The Winter Olympics are on the horizon, and soon the nation will become transfixed by speed skating, luge and the ultimate winter sport of curling. I will never forget that I spent an entire seminar watching a curling match on my laptop, making violent noises as stones whizzed across the ice and brushes did their best to slow down the projectile unleashed from this talented athlete. Look, curling is awesome, and no one should make fun of me.

The most challenging of sportd (not sarcastic) 
Outside of the sporting world, the global atmosphere will be one to watch as well. Donald Trump is still in the White House and will inevitably continue to play around with the hearts and minds of the American people in his crusade of stupidity. After the shitstorm he stirred up across the whole of 2017, there is no doubt in my mind that POTUS will stray far from the global headlines. Who knows what crazy adventures that senile orange faced man will get himself into this year. Perhaps he will get stuck down a well, or accidentally launch a nuclear missile because he put his lunch box on the big red button. Both are pretty plausible.

Across the Atlantic, us Brits continue to deal with the Brexit fallout, and hold our breaths in anticipation over whether Theresa May shall see through this year as Prime Minister. Chairman Corbyn's momentum has certainly not gone away (I mean, May doesn't have an unofficial annual in publication) and will be a thorn in her side for many months to come. With more ministers resigning and Britain's place in the world once again under threat, it will be a tough year for the Westminster elite. Another election would be disastrous; not for Labour though...

The next PM?
In amongst this uncertainty over the future of the planet sits Ben, typing on a laptop as the wind blows ferociously outside. Besides my goal to find my place in the world of employment, I do have some goals for the year ahead. For starters, I would love to expand on my cooking, and experiment with brand new recipes in my eternal quest of a full tummy and a healthy diet. With Mum already declaring that both of us shall do more baking and make lots of soup (because why the hell not), the kitchen is sure to be awash with activity. Much to Dad's dismay of course; it's his own fault that his office is right next to the kitchen.

Writing will also be something that I want to do more of this year. This blog shall continue to run, but to write more intellectually stimulating pieces or even try my hand at other projects is certainly at the forefront of my mind. I doubt many chances will arise, and I'm not surprised since everyone classes themselves as a writer nowadays, but I'm gonna keep my head up and hope for the best! At some point someone has to start paying me to do all those reviews; you hear that Disney, I want £100,000 on my desk after that Star Wars article.

Come on, you have to have some spare change lying around
Gaming will certainly be a key part of the year ahead, as I grind my way through Assassin's Creed: Origins and take in the incredible landscape of Ptolemaic Egypt. Expect a review of sorts in the next few weeks, since there won't be much else to write about. A new Red Dead game is soon to be released, and I'm sure that this year will be full of surprise hits, horrendous failures and many, many loot crates if a game has been made by EA. Seriously, all you had to do was make a decent Star Wars game- is that so hard?!

Sigh
For now, we (not me though) have to get back into working mode, and start to get rid of that Christmas weight. Take the time to enjoy the crisp winter weather and go for a walk. Yes, it is cold out there and the desire to stay indoors and binge watch The Good Place is certainly a strong one, but we all need to hit the ground running. Also, The Good Place is fantastic, I thoroughly recommend it.

Now I draw the first post of 2018 to a close. This blog will continue to be my creative outlet, and be prepared for some diverse material, ranging from reviews, rants and recommendations. See, look at that alliteration! I'm getting good at all this writing malarchy.

Ben G 😁 xo

P.S. Countinho is on his way to Barcelona for £142 million! Sucks that he is leaving the Premier League, and a little disappointed that no one made a chant where they swapped out the lyrics to Phil Collins' Sussudio and put Countinho in there instead. What a banger that would have been.

I'm a little sad as well, Phil

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 100th Post: The End of 'Absolute Shambles'

'So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye'- 'So Long, Farewell' from The Sound of Music , 1965 Post Number 100. The bunting has been hoisted out of the cupboard and is now strung up in all its glory. Caterers are hurriedly preparing a lavish spread for the exclusive event that surrounds such a historic moment, which will be attended by the biggest celebrities on the planet. People such as Barack Obama, Sir Patrick Stewart and LeBron James are waiting for the gold envelope to slide through the letterbox and invite them to the prestigious gathering. Celine Dion is warming up her vocal cords to sing a duet with Ed Sheeran, who will perform a special song written by Pharrell Williams. Dwayne Johnson and Channing Tatum will be running security for the night, hoping to keep out any party crashers who want to catch a glimpse of this humble blogger and his famous entourage. Seriously, this makes the Oscars look like a primary school disco. Master of Ceremonies Sadly,

Another 'Week in History': 3 June- 9 June

'Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely... I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory! Good luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking'- Dwight D. Eisenhower, in an address to the Allied Expeditionary Force, 2 June 1944 Absolute Shambles  has reached its penultimate post. Much like the premiership of Theresa May , the end to this turbulent and embarrassing time in history is coming to an end. The very small but loyal following (please make yourself known) are probably sobbing uncontrollably and are disturbing anyone who comes across them as they spill their tears on the floor while huddled in a ball. For everyone else, the closing of the blog is likely met with reactions such as 'Who the hell cares?', 'Ben had a blog?' and 'Finally, more focus

Hands up if you want to be Prime Minister

'You mustn't expect prime ministers to enjoy themselves. If they do, they mustn't show it- the population would be horrified'- Edward Heath (Prime Minister 1970-1974), 1976 Humans are awfully violent creatures. A quick scan through the epic saga that is our species' history reveals how brutal some people can be. Warfare, betrayals, general instances of being a complete bastard; yep, human history has it all! Even though we have become more 'civilised' as we straightened ourselves out, mastered the whole walking on two legs business and constructed society, that predatory instinct has stayed with us to this day. We don't have to hunt for our food thanks to supermarkets, but we keep our targets in our sights. Whenever weakness is detected, out springs that side of humanity that got us through some rocky times with all those dinosaurs and other big beasties stomping about. In this world of smart phones, Fortnite and all that, humans are still very much c