Skip to main content

Baking: The Pastime of Champions

I'm back. I was tired last week and couldn't be bothered to write. I'm only human after all, as the Rag'n'Bone Man that all the kids like nowadays says. But the events of this week has given me the spirit to write! I can hear all three of the regular readers out there cry in joy and relief. Keep it down please, I have rambling to do.

Lately, whenever I wander through the ever growing field that is social media, I am greeted by the sight of a heavily tattooed Irishman squaring up to a Ben sized black man who likes to throw money around. The titanic bout that is Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. is only a month away, and even though it's a stunt to fill their coffers, these two combat sport champions are (hopefully) going to engage in one hell of a fight.

But it got me thinking. Actually my first thought was how awesome it would be to train like a UFC fighter or a boxer because they are shredded as fuck. That's a plan for another day though. No, the thought that crossed my mind was whether or not Mayweather would fight McGregor in a UFC match if McGregor beat him at boxing. Would there be an ultimate third round to decide the master of all fighting? And what would it even be?

Well how about this... they should do a bake off.

Baking champion in the making
Now here me out. Imagine these two champions of their sports going toe to toe in a big tent set up at Welford Park. There would be no time for claims about being 'half black from the waist down' or that you're the IRS and you're going to tax some ass. The stress of getting rid of the flour streaks when folding in the mixture is enough to take your mind away from petty squabbles. Trust me, the struggle is real.

Glory is hard earned
I doubt Conor and Floyd would want to engage in such an event, but imagine the publicity it would get. The puns they could come up with in their press conferences as well- it's perfect! Get Mel and Sue from Bake Off to write speeches for them. TV at its finest.

On a more personal note, I'm going to openly admit my love for baking. Watching the Great British Bake Off really got me excited about dabbling in baking, and Mum was happy to oblige. Always nice to spend time with family, especially when delicious treats are on the horizon.

Good looking Christmas creations
I swell with pride when I see my efforts emerge from the oven, filling the house with the homely smell of freshly baked goods. Sometimes they come out looking perfect, sometimes it's a little bit... well... rubbish. I suck at making Battenbergs; seriously, how can you make it come out bright pink, even when using the whitest of caster sugar?!

Hooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww?!
But even the best of my efforts have been publicly snubbed. For the last three years I have done battle with the fellow bakers of the Bourne in the Victoria Sandwich class at the Bourne Show, and I haven't made it into the top three yet. I feel so empty inside as I see no card next to my name, while a sugar covered (and definitely more than three egg mixture) monstrosity falsely parades around as the champion. It sickens me.

Another year, another clear attack by the Women's Institute
I can moan and feel sorry for myself, but at the end of the day it's all about the taking part. Besides, the best feeling is sharing your creation with friends and family and, although the compliments may be a straight up lie, praise is praise. The favouritism of the Women's Institute and their questionable judging can't kill my spirit.

My brownies are world famous, I believe
Perhaps 2018 shall bring about a change in fortune. Could there be an incredible victory, which would lead to the biggest party that Lower Bourne has ever seen? Only time will tell. But I will tell you this. 'There is a specter haunting Europe, the specter of a young socialist baker'. Oppression, especially when eternal baking glory is at stake, cannot last.

This is what Karl Marx had in mind
Ben G xo 😁


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Fateful Accusation

'Justice delayed is justice denied'- William E. Gladstone I am not a religious man, yet I am certainly not a militant atheist like Richard 'If you like God, you're stupid' Dawkins. Belief/faith in some sort of deity is comforting for some, and there are a large number of people who believe in the concept of 'divine intervention'. This can be defined as a deity, whether through the power of prayer or perhaps it being a slow day in the afterlife, takes the conscious decision to intervene in our mortal realm and influence a certain chain of events. Miracles are often categorised as the result of divine intervention, and on an overcast 29 March, on the steps outside of St Paul's Cathedral in London, a deity may have given me a helping hand. It certainly isn't on the scale of Jesus walking on water or God sending the Ten Plagues onto Egypt, but in that very moment of time it felt as if 'divine intervention' had just occurred. My mother felt ch...

The 100th Post: The End of 'Absolute Shambles'

'So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye'- 'So Long, Farewell' from The Sound of Music , 1965 Post Number 100. The bunting has been hoisted out of the cupboard and is now strung up in all its glory. Caterers are hurriedly preparing a lavish spread for the exclusive event that surrounds such a historic moment, which will be attended by the biggest celebrities on the planet. People such as Barack Obama, Sir Patrick Stewart and LeBron James are waiting for the gold envelope to slide through the letterbox and invite them to the prestigious gathering. Celine Dion is warming up her vocal cords to sing a duet with Ed Sheeran, who will perform a special song written by Pharrell Williams. Dwayne Johnson and Channing Tatum will be running security for the night, hoping to keep out any party crashers who want to catch a glimpse of this humble blogger and his famous entourage. Seriously, this makes the Oscars look like a primary school disco. Master of Ceremonies Sadly, ...

'Wolfenstein: The New Colossus'- one of the craziest games I've ever played

As I continue my temporary imprisonment in my home, it was time to do some tactical purchases. Thankfully, Christmas is fast approaching so we are now entering a period of big title releases as companies rub their hands in delight over the thought of some big profits. Not going to deny it, it's a wonderful time to be alive. Bethesda  decided it was time to jump back on the Wolfenstein  train and release another installment of their long running series with The New Colossus . Screams of delight pierced the air as I saw the announcement, release trailer and finally game play footage. Look, I'm a very lonely guy; there's not much else to be excited about really. A personal hero If you're unfamiliar with the series, here's a quick run down. It's the 1960s and the Nazis won the Second World War. Things suck, so William 'B.J.' Blazkowicz (emerging from a 14 year coma) continues his Nazi killing ways and does it in a brutal and efficient way. The New Co...